Have you ever met someone who enjoys grammar? Well, I happen to be one of those rare people. I see grammar as a puzzle, which, when the pieces are put together properly, creates a clear, meaningful picture of words. Seriously. It’s things like grammar and writing and syntax that make me passionate about teaching – well, not those things alone, but sharing them with others and helping them understand them better so that they, too, can appreciate them.
I’ve always loved school, and it was an early recognition of the value in connecting with a good teacher that made me want to teach. Even in elementary school, I realized my teachers were helping me figure out how to learn on my own – and inspiring me to want to keep learning. As I grew older, I found that I wanted to do that, too, to help other kids become lifelong learners the way my teachers had done for me.
My BA came from Principia College, where I graduated with highest honors with degrees in education and English. Rather than jumping in the classroom immediately, I stayed at Principia and worked as an admissions counselor for two years. I spent the next couple of years teaching middle school English and Social Studies in an independent school outside Chicago.
I completed a master’s degree in secondary Language Arts through the University of California, expanding my foundational knowledge from the K-8 to the high school level. Working with Link students is both a teaching and learning laboratory for me; I find I adjust my classes the more I learn about students, looking for better ways to individualize and push limits of reading, writing, research, and presentation.
- Master’s, University of Southern California, Secondary Language Arts
- BA, Principia College, Education and English
- Colorado teaching license, English/Language Arts
- Christian Science class instruction and active church member
- Three years teaching English at the Link School
- English and Social Studies teacher, 7th grade advisor, and middle school dorm parent at Fox River Country Day School in Elgin, IL
- Principia College admissions counselor, southern US territory